- Brenda Spina, M.S., LMFT, LPC
- Series: Dear Rosa
The parent of a potential misuser of alcohol is in a difficult position of loving their young adult yet insisting on respect for the household. Here are a few guidelines:
- DON’T confront your young adult when they are under the influence.
- DON’T make excuses to your spouse, family, friends or school authorities for your young adult’s drinking.
- DON’T take responsibility for your young adult’s drinking problem.
- DO stay honest with the Lord and yourself about your grief. Seek professional help if necessary. Always hold the young adult responsible for the choices they are making.